Massages have been one of the most effective, time-tested and natural contributors to great health and wellness; it is also known to cure aches & pains, muscle tensions and high levels of stress, which pregnant women experience. Yes, pregnancy massage or prenatal massage as it is commonly called has proven to be one of the most effective ways to treat some of the pregnancy-related discomforts. In addition to eliminating physical difficulties, it leaves you calm and relaxed. So what are these massages all about? How effective are they? Can they be done at home? How different is it from the regular massages? Here is all you needed to know about prenatal massages:
What is a Prenatal Massage? Pregnancy, for a woman, brings whole new things in her life, and along with it comes some not-so-pleasant things like back aches, 출장안마 cramping legs, stress, mood swings and so on. To reduce these discomforts and to make your journey towards motherhood easy and less strenuous, prenatal or pregnancy massages are given. This massage has been designed exclusively for expectant mothers, and uses gentle massage strokes with specialized oils to focus on general wellness, and to relieve them from stress, anxiety and pains.
Why Prenatal Massage? Though the concept of massages have existed for several centuries, this variety of massage is fairly recent, and is gaining popularity. Many pregnant women across the globe are embracing this therapeutic massage for the multiple benefits it offers.
The following are the various benefits of pregnancy massage:
– It helps your body release endorphins, which are formed within the body to reduce pain naturally.
– Stress is a common feature during pregnancy, and these massages aid in significantly reducing stress; while reducing the stress hormones, it also works on releasing feel-good hormones like serotonin.
– Prenatal massage promotes good blood circulation to the body thereby, relieving edema and swelling in the legs and other parts of the body. The kneading action in the massage helps remove the water retention in pregnant women, which is a major catalyst for swelling.
– The massage is a major mood-uplifter and stress-reliever. It helps keep anxiety and stress levels at bay. In addition, gentle strokes on the abdomen relax the baby.
– If sleeplessness or pregnancy-related insomnia is a concern, fret not. This massage enables good sleep, which is essential for the body during the pregnancy term.
– Another major benefit is that, regular pregnancy massages prepare the muscles for childbirth and increases flexibility of the joints.
Prenatal Massages vs. Generic Massages
Though the results of both the massages are relaxing and therapeutic, the techniques used for prenatal massages vary drastically and needs to be performed with utmost care. Unlike generic massages, prenatal massages involve, lighter, gentle and shorter strokes in the abdomen, lower back and legs. The safety and comfort of the mother and baby are top priorities therefore, the massage uses less pressure and easy strokes to provide maximum benefits.
Benefits of Giving Massages at Home
Prenatal massages require a great deal of care and attention. The common belief is that only a certified therapist can give a specialized massage such as this. However, the good news is that you don’t have to be a professional masseuse to give a prenatal massage to yourself or a partner/spouse/family member.
The biggest advantage of getting a prenatal massage at home is that you get to bond better with your partner/spouse. This gives them a chance to participate in one of the greatest events of your life, and ease your journey towards it. Another benefit is that you can get these massages without a cost, and anytime you want it. The familiar and loving touch of your loved one can do wonders to your body and mind.
If you have been taking an antenatal class, you would have received some basic training on pregnancy massage techniques. If you are not part of one, you could look up the Internet for different guides that give you a detailed description of how the massage can be done.
Good to Know – Consult a doctor before giving/getting massages during your pregnancy period. If you are giving a home pregnancy massage, research and understand the techniques well. Avoid the massage during the first trimester to eliminate the risk of miscarriage. If there are sores, wounds or existing conditions, do not massage those areas. Immediately report it to the doctor.